This article was first published in Moz on 3rd November 2015. The snapshot/summary of the article is below, to read the full article please visit my blog post at Moz.
Times have changed since the era of dial-up Internet, when users had to wait minutes for a single image to load. Today, we can enjoy fast Internet access—even on our mobile devices. But make no mistake, image optimization for users and search engines is just as important as it ever was, if not more so.
In this article, we will take a look at the many ways you can optimize your images for search engines.
1. Use the right image
2. Choose the right file format
3. Optimize your images for the web
4. Use informative file names
5. Pay attention to alt text
6. Separate your thumbnails from main pictures
7. Create image sitemaps
8. Don’t rely on third-party image hosting
9. Integrate social media
10. When in doubt, consult Google’s Webmaster Guidelines
What tactics are you employing to ensure that your images show up in Internet search results?